Friday, August 5, 2011

August 5: Horrible Bosses (2011 -- Seth Gordon)

★★
I know it’s just conventional, summer pablum, but this movie had me laughing in many, many places.

Part of the appeal is the story, which is quite tight, and another part is the obvious chemistry between the leads.  As you learn from the outtakes in the credits, a lot of the dialog was improv, and these guys are very good at picking up on each other when they are all in character.  I was already familiar with Jason Bateman before the film, but here he mostly played the straight man to Charlie Day’s and Jason Sudeikis’ characters.  Day was simply hilarious, into his character and playing him with abandon.  Of scenes I remember, the little guy Day was hysterical playing the little guy who accidentally ended up on coke even though a scene like this is close to cliché.  No surprises in this film but very competent.  Just the thing for a summer afternoon.

I went with a group of former students who were leaving the country, and they all thought it was funny, too.  My question: How did they ever learn that vocabulary?

No comments:

Post a Comment